Saturday, September 19, 2009

Returning to yoga after summer


Aside from the pinnacle of my summer, the Wanderlust Festival, I did very little yoga! Today marked day two of my return to the Bo Tree's yoga teacher training. I was a little surprised to learn what my body had remembered and my mind had forgotten. My body fell back into the asana practice easily. What I had forgotten were the subtle body cues I was working with in the spring. Things like not locking out my knees and elbows, engaging my core, and building up my arm strength.
I was back to square one when it came time for Pincha Mayurasana (forearm stand). My intent had been to practice plank and dolphin poses to build up my shoulder strength. Of course, during the sumer, I didnt even think about it. I was a little disappointed to still be unable to do it even though three months had past. View this pose here: http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/1711

This led me back to some of the important points in yoga.
  1. Being compassionate and patient with your body.
  2. Finding time to do a daily practice will never get easier. The time is now!
  3. Taking a yoga class can always teach you something.
Though getting going again can feel daunting, a little patience makes all the difference. I found that my willingness to learn and physical strength were right where I left them!

No comments:

Post a Comment