Monday, July 22, 2013

Man in the mirror

posted Nov 27, 2011, 10:14 PM by Corey Jean Jones
"Man in the mirror" is my favorite song of Michael Jackson's. 
"If you wanna make the world a better place. 
Take a look at yourself, and the make a change."

Sometimes I get glimpses of myself through the eyes of my friends and family. Through a comment or reaction I get a sense of their perception of me. We all seem surprised to realize that our friends see us. That they are listening to us and watching us. But not just them, acquaintances and even strangers are affected by our behaviors. As a yoga teacher, my students are surprised that I watch them closely and know what they are capable of individually. 

This seems to be even more effective when it comes to behaviors. My friends help shape who I am just by being who they are. They might introduce me to a new health food or false eyelash adhesive. They might be more into fashion and makeup than I am so I add some of their style to mine. It works both ways and I know that my friends and students get tid-bits from me as well. 

The point though is this, I see you. I am watching you and taking you in. I am hearing you AND changing things in my mind based on what you say. My thoughts, feelings, and perceptions are constantly changing and you are influencing them. 
You are my man in the mirror. 

I am not, however, asking you to change your ways. I am loving you for who and what you are. I might take some of the good and leave the bad...some days vice versa. I am constantly learning how to be a human on this planet with everyone else. I am constantly reassessing and absorbing. Learning how to let go and move on. And you are helping me to do that by reflecting back at me in this shimmering pool of humanity.


By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.
Confucius

No comments:

Post a Comment